Friday, January 7, 2011

Book Club

Since it has been Winter break, I have been reading a lot lately. I love reading and being able to escape through a book, but I usually get too busy during the semester to actually finish a book. So over break I've finished two books and thought I'd tell a little bit about them, 'cause I don't know about you... but I like to find out about new books to read.

The first one I finished was All That Matters by Jan Goldstein. I found it at a book sale on campus and randomly picked it up. It was surprisingly really good. Basically a girl attempts suicide and fails, but is brought back to appreciate life by her grandma who is getting increasingly sick. It was cute and quite inspirational :]


The second one I just finished a couple of days ago. The Catcher in the Rye has been sitting on my bookshelf for quite sometime and I have tried to read it about three times and could never finish it. I think you have to be in a certain state of mind to read it, and kind of accept the negativity of Holden, the main character. Once you get past his pessimistic outlook, and read it as a character study you can get pretty into it. I'm glad after the fourth time reading it, I finished it and it was pretty good. There was a a lot of cussing and use of the word 'phonies' but it was pretty funny in parts because there's a part of me that goes through the same mental process as him sometimes.


Overall, they were both good books and I'm looking forward to finishing the next book I began last night. It was super dead at work today so I got a good portion of it started. What are you reading right now, or what is your favorite book you've ever read?
I worked all day then got home and did laundry, nothing too exciting, but it's relaxing and I'm enjoying it. Have a good night, and a great weekend!
Alex

3 comments:

  1. i've done the attempts at catcher in the rye too, maybe that'll be my next book. currently reading the omnivore's dilemma. it's very interesting

    adorablydeliciouslp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I love catching up on reading over winter break! It's cold outside (it was even cold in Phoenix, huh?) and you can curl up with some cocoa. Just found your blog from Thomessa's and it's too cute. Following!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, I wish I had more time during school to do more leisure reading! Yes, we had a week that it got pretty chilly here! It's back in the 70s though, thank goodness. Thanks! :]

    ReplyDelete