Friday, January 25, 2013

Center of the Universe.


One thing goes slightly wrong and I think that my life is spiraling out of control. Someone doesn't text me back and I feel like no one really likes me. Why is that things so small can seem so vast and huge in our lives? I'm freaking out because maybe the guy I had my eye on, has his eye on the girl that probably has her eye on the other guy. I am on top of the world, and happy has can be, then one thing doesn't go my way and it occupies my mind like a tsunami of thoughts my brain can't raise above to get a breath of sane air. 
I was thinking about this, and as I'm going to dwell on this with my roommate she speaks before I get words out. She can't find seem to find a job, or even places to apply, for after graduation. She isn't even quite sure what she wants to do post-graduation and where she wants the direction of her life to lead. That's right - she's figuring out the direction of her life as I'm complaining that it's been over an hour and I haven't received a text back from a guy I'll get over in a month.

Where I'm going with all this is that we are all the center of our own universe. We have been told for years that 'you're not the center of the universe,' but I'd like to counter that. We are indeed the very center of our universe, it's all we know. It's the non-stop flow of thousands of thoughts a day. So when everything in my life is going right, and I honestly don't think most of the time it could be better, I have to find something to occupy my thoughts. Because perfection isn't much to think about, we have to pinpoint some aspect of our lives to spin around our heads like the washer on spin-cycle. So, while you're thinking about why you got a 91% on that paper, and not a 97%, or why you spent that extra $5 on the coffee you could have made yourself, or contemplating your future, your love life (or lack thereof), you're not alone. I just think while we're all the center of our universe, we might as well make it a bright, sunny center. So choose to think about the exciting new recipe you're going to try, or the perfect outfit you can't wait to Instagram, and have hope for your future and the exciting things to come because it's better to dream than to dwell.
Keep thinking, positively.
Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment