Saturday, June 18, 2011

Welcome to Scotland

So I've been in Scotland for almost five days now(weird to actually say that) and I've only left campus (Edinburgh University, where I'm staying) once, twice if you count hiking the mountain in my backyard. But it's kinda sad, but at the same time everyone's getting sick, it's cold outside, and you can tell everyone's just tired of walking around and sightseeing. Burnt out on traveling, so it's been a lazy past few days, but I'm loving it. I'm tired of going out in the rain and spending $100 every time I step out the door. I've watched Soul Surfer and Source Code the past two days, I love catching up on good movies I've wanted to see and staying warm inside!

Anyways, my last day and night in Dublin were fantastic. We went to the Guinness Brewery and I learned how to pour the perfect pint and got to taste it for the first time, I had to hold out until I was at the brewery. It was so funny to drink with our professors, and we got VIP privileges because of one of the guy's in our group had connections, it was great. We went to the top of the brewery to the Gravity bar where we received a free pint and amazing views of Dublin. From there we went to dinner and I got corn beef and cabbage, I'd been dying to get the traditional Irish meal and so glad I made it happen before I left. After that we all got ready and met up with a bunch of people from my program (and my friend Heather, again!) and all went out. It was nice to not be so secluded and all go out together. We went to the huge club and had a blast dancing and meeting people from around the world! Hopefully that can happen here in Edinburgh once everyone gets over their sickness and past the laziness that's taken a hold of many of us.




But here is the largest hill in Scotland as they call it, Arthur's Seat. And also, it's my view from my window. I can see this laying in bed and sitting at my desk here in my new home. It is breath taking, I could get used to it, but not the constant rain.



Pretty amazing, and oh.. did I mention I hiked it?! Yeah, with a group from Study Abroad program we hiked to the very top and saw probably the most amazing view of Edinburgh you can get. The hike was refreshing, and the weather was beautiful. It worked out perfect, because that was the only day of sunshine... it has rained every other day.





I'm ecstatic I finally finished my grueling study guide, which is what else I've been doing between staring out my window and watching movies, now I'm on to writing a paper. Ooh, goody! Hope everyone is having a splendid Saturday,
Alex

2 comments:

  1. Aw, did you get ORION flashbacks?? I do every time I hike now. Edinburgh look amazingly beautiful. I'm so glad it was sunny for you on your hiking day so you could see for miles. I'm feeling you on the sickness. Someone has given me a cold, and I am not happy about it! But since it's my first week over here it hasn't stopped my sightseeing buzz. It was so much fun going out in Dublin with you! I wish you were staying the whole summer with me. Have an amazing last week, and good luck on finals haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how amazing alex! im so jealous of all of your amazing travels. seriously. i want to be in your shoes for a few weeks! :)

    ReplyDelete