Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Tostada Tuesday... with Tofu!




So I made these beauties a few Tuesdays ago for a twist on the basic Taco Tuesday. I have tried tofu before, however only raw and in salads mostly, and I've had such an urge to actually cook it myself. After watching a few helpful YouTube videos on how to cook tofu, I took their advice and froze part of it. After freezing part of the block, and then dehydrating it, it crumbled right into the frying pan. I added chopped onions, chili powder, and some chunky salsa to the cooking tofu. As the tofu was cooking I started chopping some romaine lettuce, black olives and scallions. Working with what I had, which wasn't shredded cheese, as any resourceful college girl would do, I took my sliced american cheese and sliced it into thin strips, making my own makeshift cheese to top the tostadas. I threw a can of refried beans in a pan to heat up, and let the tofu turn a nice brown color. I took my tostada shells and topped them with the beans, my cooked tofu, and all the delicious toppings... lettuce, onions, olives, etc. Overall, this meal was delicious and I was SUPER excited to make a meal using tofu.


I'm definitely going to make these again soon :] Here are some websites about the health benefits and some info about tofu. (ie: it helps prevent some cancers, like breast cancer.. woot woot!) I'm not a vegetarian, but like to be healthy and experiment with all types of food. Oh, and here's the video that helped me oh so much, enjoy!

It is pouring rain here in Arizona, and this is one of the first days it's been below 100 degrees, it's soo cold! I had to wrap my furry bike seat in a plastic bag so I didn't soak my pants! Also, there was a farmer's market on campus today and I bought a bunch of peppers, green bell peppers, jalapeƱos, and hot banana peppers... for a DOLLAR! I love getting such fresh food, he said he picked it last night! And supporting local farmers makes my heart warm :] Have a great day, hope it goes as swell as mine!
Alex

2 comments:

  1. YUM! those look delicious! i can't cook worth beans...but this looks like a pretty do-able recipe. :)

    xoxo
    SWEATshirt DRESSshirt

    ReplyDelete