Sunday, January 12, 2014

Resolve.

Almost two weeks into 2014, I've decided to get down all my thoughts, resolutions, and goals. Even though we're only going into the 13th day of the month, I feel like I've done a lot of thinking and reflecting. Maybe it's the start of a new year, the disappointment of New Years celebrations, or the lack of reasons to leave the house when it's this cold. Whatever it may be, this is what I've come up with.

Resolutions:
Invest more, splurge less; Be smarter with my money, put my extra in savings - or heck, even try to learn the ways of investing! Stop spending money on nights out for overpriced drinks, or silly shopping trips. Invest in nice things, trips, important things you'll remember - not those super cool silver pants from Urban that look like space pants but aren't very flattering and I probably only would've worn twice.

Take more trips; Road trips and weekend trips are a must in this weather. Plus, there are some amazing places to visit just a car ride away - rainforests, beaches, mountains, you name it! I'm working on my list of places to go in 2014 now!

Volunteer; Between school and work I never really had time for it. Now that I'm just working one job and don't have school, I have extra time. I want to find a hobby (ie: pasta making, or keyboard, or painting) but also want to find a place I can commit my time to better the world, or at least community, I live in. I'm thinking of this really cool Recovery Cafe, and they just sent me the volunteer application - so fingers crossed I can give that a shot and it goes well!

Be creative outside of work; I'm super lucky I get to work on marketing and advertising projects that let me create and practice my creativity, and I love it! But it's totally different to just be creative and random and whimsical with what you create. I've started a project of posters, and I have had so much fun doing it. I want to get back to creating things for the fun of it; painting, Photoshop, jewelry, Illustrator, doodling, whatever - just find time to be creative, it's so good for the soul and I miss it.

Practice self-control; This is something I really need to work on. I'm so bad at it, and granted there are times that are okay to go a little over-board, more times than not it's just not good. Eating, spending, and drinking. I did Paleo for a week and it was awesome in that it really tested my self-control.. who know I didn't  need those muffins my roommate brought home, or the huge bag of chips sitting on my table, or the Christmas chocolate that's been tempting me everyday. I did it, and I'm really proud or myself, but have gone a little overboard since I've stopped. Drinking has been so imbedded in my lifestyle, beer fests, nights out, happy hour - it's everywhere! It's a little scary. But I've had some discussions about it, and though I don't think stopping entirely is necessary, self-control is so so so important for me. I need to learn when to cut myself off, when to say no, and I think I'll be a lot happier - and healthier - when I learn this and do it. So practice, practice, practice!  

Find a passion/hobby; This whole real-world, 8-5 job has been a really hard transition for me. I'm used to go, go, go - school, job, other job, squeeze friends in there somewhere. But now it's like gym, work.... what do I do with myself? So I want to find something I really enjoy doing, and maybe even meet people doing it. I've really found myself enjoying cooking, as usual, but more specifically pasta making. I want to try and start making some with my new pasta maker I got for Christmas, and try different, artisanal pastas. I also have a bunch of extra canvases from my paint party last year, I'd like to try painting. I've always enjoyed it, even though I haven't created the Mona Lisa by any means, I have fun.. and I can do this with friends which is a plus! 


Via WeHeartIt


And to remember that, because everything was meant to happen exactly as it does.



Lately I've been thinking a lot about this crazy life I'm leading, and the future - what else it new? But I'm having a really like-hate relationship with Seattle right now, and trying to figure it out. I think this non-stop rain has had something to do with it, so I'm trying to accept it for what it is and make the most of it. There are so many things to do  and I want to enjoy while I am here, so I'm going to make a better effort to get out and enjoy them. I'm trying to live day-to-day, because I can get so overwhelmed by the consistency of my schedule and the routine of it all it can seem suffocating at times. So thinking more about what cool recipe I'm going to try tonight, or the cool trip I'm gonna take this weekend, or the fun new restaurant I'll try Friday is so much easier for me to process. So here's to another whirlwind year, finding myself and my path, enjoying every moment, day-by-day.

Cheers to a happy and healthy New Year, to you!
Alex

2 comments:

  1. I know this comment is a few months late, but I was thinking about you as I was reading blogs, and I needed this post more than I realized. I have similar goals for this year, and I think smack dab at half way into the year, a good solid reminder of those goals and why I set them was perfect, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little half year check-in is never a bad thing! Glad you got a little reminder of your goals, hope they're going well so far! :)

      Delete